I love the holidays. They are so totally magical, and to me what makes them extra special are the traditions. Sometimes they are as simple as watching the dog show. I always can’t wait to see the toy group – cuz’ well I love Cavaliers. Sometimes it’s gathering around the fire and playing a favorite board game with my loved ones. Others involve sweet treats that just make your heart and taste buds burst with joy.
This holiday got me thinking about a tradition around here that I look forward to every year. It’s making cinnamon rolls – like literally the most delicious chewy-gooey (and easy) cinnamon rolls ever. They are super simple to make – taking just 30 minutes using store-bought dough. More on that later. Trust me – there is nothing better than a cinnamon roll with your morning coffee. Wanna know how to make them? Of course, you do. Let’s get to it:
- Prep: 10 min
- Cook: 20 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serves: 3-4
- 1 box frozen dough
- 1/2 cup stick softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup of walnuts
- The morning of …… be sure to take your rolls out of the refrigirator and let the rolls rise in a warm spot. They are ready to bake when they have doubled in size. It’s like magic. But feel free to make ‘em’ day of. The steps are the same:
- Roll dough on an un-floured surface into a rectangle as best you can. Don’t fuss if it’s not perfect! A 12″ by 8″ rectangle is ideal.
- Dice up your walnuts. You can leave this out if you prefer but I love the added texture and flavor these add.
- In a bowl combine walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Spread slightly melted butter (I zap the butter in the microwave) evenly over the dough. Be sure to get a nice even coat and don’t feel like you have to get to the very edge.
- Next, sprinkle the buttered dough with the walnut + sugar mixture.
- Starting at one side (the longest), roll up your dough as tightly as you can. I like lots of swirls. When you get to the end aim to pinch the seam shut.
- Slice 2″ thick slices and place them on a buttered 9″ round cake pan about 1/2″ apart. Then…
- Let them rise (in the fridge overnight or..) on the counter for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake until slightly golden, about 20-25 minutes. I like them a bit under. Shhh, don’t tell anyone. Make the frosting! It’s super easy:
- Whip together the powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tbsp. of water. Let thicken for 10 minutes.
- Once the Cinnamon rolls are done and slightly cooled simply drizzle your frosting glaze over your rolls and serve warm with your favorite coffee drink or ice-cold milk. Enjoy!
- Reheat the next day by zapping them in the microwave for 15 seconds. Make extra frosting to add as you see fit.
I love a warm cinnamon rolll – especially one that is this fast and this delicious.
Will you give this a try? It’s quick and easy while bursting with sugary sweet deliciousness. There is nothing easier (and more delicious) to make your holiday (or really any day) sweeter. Enjoy!